JCole's Cigar Reviews

I periodically review cigars and post the reviews on Cigar Forums such as Cigar Weekly, Club Stogie, Cigar Utopia, and Herfers Paradise. I thought I would put them all in one place, for those who enjoy them.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Camacho Havana

Taste of Cuba in Honduras

Pictures at: http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/JCole311/album05/107_0757
Monarca 5" - 50 Ring
Wrapper, Binder, & Filler: Honduran
Made with Jamastran Habano Criollo Wrapper with authentic Corojo Binder and Filler.

Accompanying drink: Water and Jim Beam Rye Whiskey

Somethimes you come across a cigar in your humidor that catches your eye and says, "Try me! I'm different". It was a humid night and I had been thinking about what I wanted to smoke. I opened up one of my humidors and was looking for something not too big or too small but just the right size. I don't know where I picked this one up, I'm thinking perhaps a Herf, but it caught my eye.

The cigar looked a little dry, but had no cracks or imperfections. I cut clip the end of the cigar and took a pre-light draw, it had flavors of wheat and straw. I noticed that it drew more in some parts than others, so I rolled it around between my thumb and forefinger from the foot to the head. I decided that it would be fine and I lit it. I was immediately hit by how it had a faint flavor of Cuban twang and a few moments later I was awash in it.

I have never had a domestic that tasted as much like a Cuban as this cigar. It started out like one string on a Cuban guitar and got more strings to make it a chord and then built up into a beautiful melody, that sounded like a Cuban in Honduras that was singing a song of how he longed for his homeland and of a simpler time. It was a beautiful song that was flavor that became louder and stronger up to the end where the twang was over come by the heat and its pepper and spice notes were the only ones distinguishable.

I had a slight burn problem, that I decided not to touch up and it ended up correcting itself in the end. I smoked it to a tiny nub, with the help of a toothpick. I looked up some info on this cigar and apparently it is rather inexpensive.

I would ask Habanos smokers to try one and tell me what they thought. I smoked this slow, took my time, and really went out trying to get all that I could from this cigar and sometimes that makes all the difference.

I give this a grade of 7 out of 10, points off only because presentation is fair and burn was slightly off due to construction.
_________________

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home